COVID-19 Public Assistance

dec_4517.pngPublic Assistance is a reimbursement program operated by FEMA that provides federal funding to help communities respond to and recover from disasters. FEMA reimburses state and local governments (and certain types of private nonprofit organizations) for the cost of specific disaster-related expenses for up to 75% of cost with the other 25% of cost being covered by the State of West Virginia.

 Applicants must demonstrate they have the legal responsibility to perform the work and that costs are reasonable, allocable and necessary.

A Major Disaster Declaration has been approved for the State of West Virginia to provide federal Public Assistance in support of specific response efforts for Emergency Protective Measures directly related to COVID-19.

The requests for Individual Assistance and Hazard Mitigation are still pending review.  


Public Assistance Guidance

For additional information, please e-mail 

COVID-19 Guidance: Procurements Under Grants during Periods of Emergency or Exigency (E&E) This 36-minute online tutorial from FEMA will help participants understand how to properly contract during emergency or exigent circumstances when using federal funds.

Public Assistance Applicant Quick Guide

FEMA Public Assistance COVID-19 Streamlined Project Application--Fillable Form

Public Assistance Program Overview – Fact Sheet